Part Time Reference/Circulation Aide
- Work at the Library’s Service Desks performing checkout services, assisting patrons with reference questions, locating materials and providing general computer help
- Comfortable working with the public
- Ability to work afternoons as well as some weekend and evening hours (up to 20/hrs. per week)
- Compensation: $10.00/hr.
- Must be able to lift 15-25 lbs
- College degree and/or library experience preferred but not essential
WEST LAFAYETTE PUBLIC LIBRARY
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED. December 23, 2014
Part Time West Lafayette History Research Center Assistant
The West Lafayette Public Library is proud to announce an opening for a part time staff member who will work with Library staff to expand the resources of the West Lafayette History and Research Center. The Center is housed at the Library.
Total number of work hours will average 10 hours each week. The position begins in early January 2015.
Supervisor is Nick Schenkel, West Lafayette Public Library.
Duties of the part time assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Cataloging and digitizing existing donated West Lafayette history collections and cataloging and digitizing newly donated West Lafayette history collections
- Developing outreach into the West Lafayette community to obtain new collection donations and
- Working with researchers interested in using the West Lafayette History Research Center
- Working with other library staff as we further develop the West Lafayette Memories Blog and related social media http://westlafayettememories.blogspot.com/
- Working with other library staff as we continue developing good working relationships with appropriate Departments of the City of West Lafayette, the Purdue Archives, Tippecanoe County Historical Association, Tippecanoe County Public Library, and other interested parties
- Becoming an active member of West Lafayette History Research Center advisory committee which advises the Library on the direction and initiatives for the Research Center
- Working with other library staff as we write grants to support and extend the work of the WLHRC
- College degree in an appropriate field of study; advanced degree a plus
- Great communication skills; fluency in English
- Friendly, easy-going manner
- Ability to lift up to twenty five pounds and work for significant amounts of time at one task
- Access to car or other form of transportation to reach areas of West Lafayette for outreach purposes
- Willingness to learn the basics of archiving from professionals in the field
Candidate pluses include:
- Familiarity with the West Lafayette community
Hourly pay rate will be based on education and experience
To apply please send your:
- letter of interest
- and three references
Note: a background criminal check by the Library may be required for the person who is to be hired for this position.
The Library has employment opportunities from time to time. When we do we will post the openings here.
If you are interested in working at the Library we encourage you to fill out an application which we keep on file for 3 months. We review all the current applications whenever a opening occurs. We seldom have summer openings.