Friends Back Door Book Store
The Friends' Back Door Book Store offers over 2,000 gently used books all year. It is located in the north west corner of the Library
*The shop is operated by volunteers and may be opened by Library staff upon request.
Friends Amazon Shop
About the Friends
Who are the Friends?
Friends are public spirited residents of the public library community who want to insure that this public institution remains one for everyone's needs for finding information, for consumers of books and other media materials, for enhancing education of all ages and levels of patrons, for enriching cultural experiences, for a place to relax and enjoy oneself among like-minded folk. We strive for improving community harmony by providing the best public resources available, nurturing booklovers, and promoting literacy.
What are the Friends up to?
What do the Friends do?
A primary activity of the members is to raise money as a not-for-profit institution. The funds are spent entirely to supplement the limited, tax-based budget that is controlled by the State of Indiana and the current tax laws. View the Friends of the West Lafayette Public Library Constitution and By-Laws.
How do I contact the Friends?
Call and leave a message at the Library: 765-743-2261
Write the Friends: Friends of the West Lafayette Public Library, 208 West Columbia Street, West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
How does the Friends organization raise its money?
The bulk of our treasury is built up with the receipts from:
- our Friends' Back Door Book Store offering over 2,000 gently used books all year, located in the north west corner of the Library; Shop Hoursour twice-a-year community book (and more) fairs;a record (and other music items) sale;
- and over-the-internet sales of better or rarer books http://www.amazon.com/shops/fowll.
Who decides how to spend its funds?
The governing body of the Friends is the executive council, who meets once a month at least eight times a year to conduct the Friends business. At each monthly meeting the Library Director, and possibly one or more Library staff members, attend the meeting to present to the council their suggestions for programs, purchases, activities, etc., for discussion and approval or not. All of these meeting are open to the entire membership.
What have the Friends funded?
Here is a brief list of Friends support that relied on expenditures not dependent on tax-generated dollars:
- Establishing the Library Foundation, which made the new Library building a possibility
- Supporting programs such as
- The children's summer reading activities and puppet shows
- The outreach delivery to community shut-ins in their homes or in senior institutions
- Partnering Library activities withCelebrating all the Library volunteers with an appreciation luncheon,
- The City of West Lafayette (e.g. Global Fest)
- The Morton Community Center (Walla, Films and Friends)
- Local schools (from infants to PhDs!)
- Bringing Arts to the Library.
- Buying Books, reference materials, CDs, DVDs, audio and video tapes, maps, sheet music, magazines, high and low tech equipment, supplies, furniture, and toys, security services.
Another mission of the Friends is to make the Library an environment where interesting, educated, committed people will want to find opportunities to help others. Many of the necessary Library services and tasks would not be possible without the hours of time donated by the Library volunteers, many of whom are also Friends.
Friends of the Library
The Friends of the West Lafayette Public Library is a volunteer organization which supports the Library in day-to-day operations and fund raising.
The Friends sponsor a bi-annual book sale.
The next Book Fair will be October 21-28, 2016
Thank you for a great Spring 2016 Book Fair!
Donations of used books are accepted at the Library during regular hours all through the year. Please place donations under the "Book Fair Donation" sign, which is located in the Library's lobby between the south and east entrance doors. Many donated materials are added directly to the Library collection. Others are used in the Friends' book sale and proceeds are used to support the Library. Don't forget that you will receive a tax receipt when donating!
Check out the Friends' Back Door Book Store in the Library! The Back Door Book Store offers over 2,000 gently used books all year.
Join the Friends of the Library! Use the online form to the right, sign up at a book fair or come into the Library and fill out an application form. $15 a year for individuals or families, $5 a year for students. Please call the Library (765) 743-2261 or stop by to learn more.
The Friends of the West Lafayette Public Library Executive Council is:
President: Zachary Baiel
Vice President: Don Gray
Secretary: Carol Abell
Treasurer: Jean Sullivan
Nominating Committee: Lois Haueisen, Joanne Lax, George Kopcha.
The Friends By-Laws can be found here.