Printing is available from our patron computers as well as our our Wi-fi hotspot.
The West Lafayette Public Library is a member of Evergreen Indiana, a consortium of over 100 public libraries throughout Indiana.
As a patron of an Evergreen Indiana member library you are able to:
- Check out up to 100 items at any one time
- Check out most items for three weeks
- Check out "new books" for two weeks
- Check out DVDs for one week
Fines for overdue materials are 25 cents per day per item
Checked out items may be renewed at the Library in person, by phone, or online
Wi-Fi & Guest Printing
You can print wirelessly from your laptop, smartphone or other device to the Ricoh printer/copier on the 2nd floor by following the steps below:
2) In a few seconds the dialog box will display your release code.
3) Press the printer button on the keypad (look for the red arrow ).
4) Deposit $0.10/page for black & white prints and $0.25/page for color prints.
Wireless access to the Internet is available to our patrons. The network’s name is WL-Library. It is an open network, and as such there is no security for your computer. You are responsible for the security of your own machine.
Interested in your safety? Read the tips below.
Information on Wi-Fi and Guest Printing
Top 10 Security Tips for Public Hotspots (from /www.jiwire.com)
- Make sure you're connected to a legitimate access point.
- Encrypt files before transferring or emailing them.
- Use a virtual private network (VPN).
- Use a personal firewall.
- Use anti-virus software.
- Update your operating system regularly.
- Be aware of people around you.
- Use Web-based email that employs secure http (https).
- Turn off file sharing.
- Password-protect your computer and important files.
The West Lafayette Public Library offers wireless internet service throughout its two story building. Access to the internet is also available in the library through direct cable connections. Please ask library reference staff if you need assistance with either of these free services.
In addition there are 13 public computers for adult use, 3 computers for young adults ages 12-17, and 9 computers in the children's area designated for children and their caregivers.
Computer use to the public computers is limited to a single use of no more than 90-minutes per day. A user's account must be in good standing in order to be eligible for computer use privileges.
Use of the Library's public wireless service is not restricted by time of use.
For further information concerning computer use, please refer to the West Lafayette Public Library's Public Computer Use Policy.
- Library services start with the traditional book lending which, today, includes lending DVDs, CDs, audiobooks and more;
- continue with reference services to answer questions and show how to use computers and other technology;
- expand outside the Library to bring services to our friends who are homebound or visit some of our area day care centers or by visiting the West Lafayette Farmer's Market.
- We also help with distance learning by providing computers to use and proctoring services
- Wi-fi access is available in the Library building: WL-Library
- Wi-fi printing is also available with Ricoh hotspots
- Meeting rooms for the public are available for Library patrons in good standing to reserve
- Check the calendar for room availability
Public Meeting Rooms
The Library has two large meeting rooms, The Elm Room and The Walnut Room, which can be combined into an even larger meeting space. Each of these meeting rooms has a capacity of 50, with a combined capacity of 100. The Children's Program Room may also be scheduled for children's meetings and events. It is available regular hours except during storytimes and other Library events. Our Amphitheater may also be scheduled, subject to senior staff approval.Check the Library Meeting Room Use Policy and Operational Rules and Regulations for time limits and to see if your meeting/event is eligible for scheduling these spaces.
You may schedule space for a meeting/event by filling out a meeting room request form below. Please call us at (765) 743-2261 if you have any questions.
We have a large collection of reference materials, including extensive consumer and investment information. As a member of Evergreen Indiana, the West Lafayette Library offers access to over 6 million books and other items found at over 100 Indiana public libraries - we'll be glad to help you use Evergreen Indiana if you have questions.
We'll gladly show you how to search the Internet for the answers you need. You can use these links we have found helpful.
If the items you need are not available in our collection, the collections of Tippecanoe County Public Library or the Purdue University Library System, you can use our Interlibrary Loan Service to obtain materials from other libraries.
We are also available to help with computer/technology questions.
The Library is a public lending library. Registered Library patrons in good standing can borrow books, DVDs, audiobooks and other materials that circulate. See the Library Collections for more details.
Rgistered residents of our Library district are eligible to place holds on books and audionbooks in other libraries that are members of the Evergreen Consortia.
We do charge Fines for overdue materials
Proctoring at the West Lafayette Public Library
Proctoring fee is $25.00 per test for the first 3 hours scheduled and $10.00 per additional hour scheduled for that test. If we print out the test there is a printing fee of $.10 per page, usually about $2.00 per test. The proctoring fee is assessed for missed appointments unless cancelled before the appointment. Please be sure to bring your picture ID when you come to take the exam.
West Lafayette Public Library
208 W. Columbia
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Erica Brown, Adult & Teen Services Librarian
Highest degree: MLS from University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Ruth Cushman, Patron Services Librarian
Highest Degree: BS from Iowa State University & BS from Purdue University