The West Lafayette Public Library board of directors and staff are committed to continue the Library's compliance with ADA standards for public library service.
As a part of that commitment, the Library has established an ADA self-assessment committee which is charged with surveying the Library building and grounds to determine areas for improvement with regard to ADA compliance.
The West Lafayette Public Library strives to be our community's center for lifelong learning, the collector of our community's written and audio-visual heritage, and the gateway to resources within and beyond the Library's walls.
About the Library
Contact & Staff Information
(765) 743-2261 -- Main Library number
(765) 588-4252 - Renewal number
(765) 743-0540 -- Fax number
- Jane Dolan, Reference/Cataloging
- Gale Charlotte, Administrative Assistant
- Bekke Aaron, Reference
- Phyllis Heath, Circulation
- Jeff Hoon, Circulation
- Joanne Yang, Circulation
- Frances Goode, Children's Services
- John Edgerly, Shelver
Not all positions are available at all times. Applicants are expected to interview with the supervisor of the area before being accepted for a volunteer position. Applications are available at the first floor information desk. Background check may be required. Training is provided.
Friends of the Library Shop Clerk (good for college students and others who want time to study/read while they volunteer)
Work assigned shift, usually 2 hours at a time once a week
Arrive on time and stay until the end of your shift
Open and staff Friend's shop
Close and lock shop
Uncover "teaser" table and set up for business
Sell books and other materials
- Write accurate receipts
- Take cash and checks
- Give accurate change
Book Sale Help
- Assist with set-up and or take-down
- Book sales occur twice a year
- Assist by straightening tables during the sale
Children's Youth Aide 1 (ages 14 to 18)
- Work assigned shift in summer, usually 2 hours at a time once a week
- Assist librarians with summer reading by aiding patron registration and distribution of prizes at the appropriate times
Children's Youth Aide 2 (ages 14 to 18)
- Must have volunteered at the Library in children's for at least 2 months, have a demonstrated record of accuracy and be recommended by the children's staff
- Work assigned shift, usually 2 hours at a time once a week
- Assist librarians in preparing for programs by
- Preparing crafts
- Setting up tables and chairs
- Putting tables and chairs away
- Cleaning up after programs
Children's Aide (over 18)
- Work assigned shift, usually 2 hours at a time once a week
- Assist librarians in planning programs
- Assist librarians in presenting programs
- Help patrons find materials
Located 2 blocks from the Purdue Memorial Union
A — Stop served by CityBus campus loops (firehouse stop)
B — Stop served by CityBus regular routes
C — Stop served by all CityBus routes/loops
Courtesy of www.GoCityBus.com
Parking free for Library visitors only
Hosted at the West Lafayette Public Library on Friday, August 8
the 2014 Donor Reception begins at 6:30 pm with music, wine,
beverages, & hors d’oeuvres
A lively moderated discussion will follow at about 7:15 pm.
Your comments and ideas are welcomed!
Guests are welcome
Library Foundation Board Members: Nancy Dunn, President Tetia Lee, Secretary Nick Schenkel, Treasurer Zachary Baiel Mark Davis Jill May Michael Oxenrider
West Lafayette Public Library Foundation Donor,
Books remain a mainstay of the West Lafayette Library yet our Library fosters creativity and intellectual curiosity in many other ways too. Our Library features performers and artists, works with community organizations and hosts local film series and lectures to expand our community’s love of reading and inquiry the year ‘round.
Here’s how our Library Foundation has supported these salutary efforts since we wrote to you in 2012…..
- The West Lafayette Public Library Foundation has donated nearly $16,000 in vital matching funds for the Library’s grant initiatives and to help the Library expand its book, audio, visual, and online collections
- Joined with the Tippecanoe Arts Federation in funding Family Fun Day to welcome over 400 children, teens and adults to our Library this Fall
- Funded new library collection initiatives including FREEGAL - music downloads from your Library and expanded eBook access – our eBook circulation is now averaging 600 checkouts each month
- Helped fund the Library’s membership with Evergreen Indiana, bringing in thousands of books for our library’s readers – of ALL ages - from Evergreen Indiana’s one hundred + member libraries
- Continued our Foundation’s informative series of conversations with our friends and supporters
- Continued to build an endowment of $1 million. The WL Library Foundation invests over $525,000 annually
To celebrate our 90th birthday, we’re asking you to invest in our Library’s summer author visits initiative– a multi-day series of programs to spark reading, curiosity and life-long learning among community youth. Through this effort, we hope to secure the funds to provide services for the next 90 years and beyond.
Your support for any of our Library Foundation Funds is appreciated and welcome! Your donation will continue to be invested with the donations of others to make a real difference in our community library’s growth.
Nancy Dunn, President Nick Schenkel, Treasurer
West Lafayette Public Library Foundation Board Members
Nancy Dunn, President Nick Schenkel, Treasurer Board Members: Mark Davis Tetia Lee Michael Logan Jill May Michael Oxenrider
Donations to the West Lafayette Public Library Foundation are tax deductible under IRS ruling 501(c)3
Unpaid internships for students interested in librarianship may be available.
Effective December 17, 2009
It pays to return on time
Donations of books, music, movies, magazines, etc. are accepted any time during Library hours. Please ask, for assistance, at the information desk, in the front of the Library, when you arrive.
Other ways to support the Library are available, including monetary donations and gifts. Visit the support section of our website for more information.
Personal papers and other materials of local historical interest may be accepted for our archive. Click here for more information if you are interested in donating items to the WLPL Archives.
Location of the Library and return boxes
The Library is located on the corner of Chauncey and Columbia Street in Chauncey Village in downtown West Lafayette. For your convenience there is a parking garage on Columbia Street, across from the Library.
West Lafayette Public Library
208 West Columbia
West Lafayette, IN 47906
The library has book drops where you can return books and other checked out items 24/7:
- On the East side of the Library building (on Chauncey Street)
- In front of the Payless Supermarket on West Sagamore Parkway
- Outside the Kurz Purdue Technology Center building in Research Park (Monday - Friday pick-up)
You can return any materials at any of these three locations any time of the day or night.
How to get a library card
It’s quick and easy to obtain an Evergreen Indiana Library card with the West Lafayette Public Library.
Please bring the following information with you when you come to the Library to apply for your new card:
- A government issued picture ID with your current local address on it
- A government issued picture ID and
- Proof of your local residence such as a:
- Voter's registration card
- Car registration
- Lease or dorm contract
- Property tax statement
- Utility bill (telephone, gas, electric, water, etc.) issued within the last 60 days
- Bank statement issued within the last 60 days
Events are color coded: GREEN are library events; BLUE are children's library events; PURPLE are community events; TEAL are Dig•Me reservations (also see Dig•Me calendar below); RED are One Great Read Events; and ORANGE are library closings.
Library events on the calendar include set-up and cleaning times. Please check our website for actual event times.
Dig•Me Media Center Use Request Form You may also call the library at 765-743-2261 to request the Dig•Me Media Center. See the Dig•Me calendar below for available times.