Temporary position - Historical archive digitizer
Background – The West Lafayette Public Library has archival materials from several significant West Lafayette individuals and organizations, including former West Lafayette mayors Sonya Margerum (served as Mayor of from 1971 – 2002) and James Williamson (served as Mayor 1968 – 1971), materials associated with West Lafayette's most significant 20th century community elementary and high schools (Morton School and West Lafayette High School), and personal papers from one of West Lafayette's significant families during the late 19th and early 20th century. These documents now form the basis of the West Lafayette Public Library Archive (WLPL Archive).
Digitizing the WLPL Archive will allow the materials to be used by researchers and interested lay people from West Lafayette, Indiana and communities beyond without the need to handle the materials themselves.
We anticipate there can be two (2) successful applicant(s) for this work. The successful applicant(s) will each :
- Temporary position; ten (10) to fifteen (15) hours of work per week from hiring to March 31, 2013
- Duties will include:
- Scanning documents and photographs to archival standards
- Maintaining digital file folder naming schema to match physical archive folders
- Backing-up files daily
- Verify backed-up files weekly
- As each collection is digitized, burning all the digital files to multiple DVDs
- Reporting progress to supervising librarians
- Meeting with supervising librarians bi-weekly
- Bachelor's degree in history, American studies, or related field
- Recommendation from at least one Purdue University professor from history, American studies, or related field
- Ability to quickly learn and then responsibly perform scanning of archival print material with library provided scanner and software
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to work hours when library is open
- US Citizen or official authorization to work in the United States
- Ability to lift and manipulate items of up to 25 pounds so that these items can be digitized with library provided scanner and software
- Hourly pay rate will be determined based on the successful applicant(s) experience and educational background.